Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Journal #2: Joining the Affinity Group Classroom 2.0 and reflections on Digg Stream

The Affinity Group that I chose is Classroom 2.0.  http://www.classroom20.com/

I had some difficulty deciding since what educational Affinity Group to join since I'm not a teacher.  I have lectured at Cal State L.A. years ago but I don't consider myself a teacher and most of the sites listed are truly aimed at sharing ideas with other teachers.

Since my goal is to work with industry later on marketing multimedia material to schools or businesses (training departments).  I thought Classroom 2.0 makes the most sense for my interests.  The group discusses a variety of subjects including the use of computers, iPads, Interactive Whiteboards and other gadgets in the classroom.

My goal is to have a better understanding of what teachers are doing with respect to technology.  What has been working for them and what hasn't.  Are they using Google Docs?  Are they assigning homework via social media?  What concerns do they have? Do many teachers believe technology is helping them or hurting them? How is it helping them meet the needs of the slower student as well as the high achiever? Are school administrations helping them introduce technology and supporting them at challenges arise? I realize this group won't answer all my questions but I believe it's focus will be beneficial to helping me better understand use of technology in the classroom.

For venders to meet the needs of teachers, they must have a good understanding of what is happening inside the classroom.  I am at somewhat of  disadvantage because I've never taught in a K-12 classroom but, this may actual be an advantage.  I may have more of an open mind with respect to what is needed and what should be developed based on sound research.  This brings me back to why I'm using this group...it could help me with my research.

The site can be a little overwhelming.  There are tons of ideas that are shared among the members.  For my purposes how do I begin?  Do I just browse the site depending on what strikes my fancy or do I develop some kind of structure for analyzing the ideas of teachers in the classroom?   Over the next few weeks I'll look into ways I can possible structure my use of the group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment