Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

Journal #1: Reflections from Chapters 1-3: Robbins, J.N. (2012) Learning Web Design. Sebastopol, CA: O’Reilly Media, Inc.

I am anxious to start right in learning HTML code but logically it helps to get some background first and the first three chapters of Learning Web Design did a decent job with this task.

In chapter 1, I was a little surprised on how structured the design and development process is for web applications.  Previously, in my small business, I had one of my employees who was was somewhat knowledgeable agree to create a website for me.  I believe he used GoDaddy to develop the site.  He didn’t need to know HTML; GoDaddy’s design tools did not require any technical knowledge.  Granted, the site he developed was very basic and probably lacked much of the advanced functionality that a corporate site would have but, for the money, I was very satisfied.  It met my needs.  With this class we should eventually be able to produce much better websites since we will be able to use HTML and CSS directly to create exactly what we desire even though we won’t learn much about JavaScript until GED513.

Dissecting Web Designing into many categories such as Interaction Design, User Interface Design, Interaction Design sounded kind of weird to me since there is so much crossover.  I believe for small and medium size projects, one designer is wearing many hats.  If there is a team for large applications that is dividing the different categories than they must work close together with many meetings so that they don’t replicate each other’s work; even hear I imagine designers still wearing more than one hat.

In chapter 2, I did learn the difference between Internet vs. the Web.  I, like many, interchanged the words, but there are other ways to share information over the internet the with Web pages.  I found it interesting how browsers are different and will handle applications differently. Therefore we must test our code on multiple browsers.  Hopefully, in the future, browsers will all handle HTML, CSS, JavaScript from our applications the same way. 

After reading the introduction to JavaScript, I’m still not quite sure how it works.  Interactivity is a generic term and HTML does give you some interactivity, I’m looking forward to learning more.

In chapter 3, I was most interested in Progressive Enhancement and Responsive Web Design.  I find that many sites don’t do well on my cell phone.  It takes me a while to get the information I need as I work at sizing the document correctly.  I’m looking forward to learning to develop applications that can handle a variety of browsers and devices.

Question 1:
What is the difference between the Internet and the Web?

Answer:
The Internet includes all the hardware and software that is used to connect millions of computers on a extremely large network so that they can share information using specified protocols.
The Web is one of the ways in which information is shared on the internet using the HTTP protocol. Another way to share information is emails that use the protocol SMTP.

Question 2:
What is the difference between User Experience (UX), Interaction (IxD), and Interface Design (UI) for the Web Designer?

Answer:
In designing the user experience, the designer takes a step back and looks at how comfortable the user is with the look and feel of the website…were the satisfied with there time interacting with the site as a whole.
With Interaction Design, the designer is more narrowly focused on how the user interacts with each web page.  Can the users easily find everything the desire quickly and seamlessly.
With Interface Design, the designer is analyzing how the webpage responds to the user’s behavior.
As you can see, there is much crossover.

No comments:

Post a Comment